This article will focus on another essential part of the human body. A beauty identity of ours, “The Hair”!
When we talk about our natural hair care, what do you think about? Is it hair health? Styles you would love to try out? Or products to enhance the look and overall health of your hair?
Yeah, you know best what you want and desire!
Now let me ask you some other questions…
How do you leave your hair? Do you cut it off completely? Or are you trying to grow it out? Have you already achieved your desirable hair goal?
Whichever one applies to you would definitely need support and maintenance to keep it thriving.
We can’t just leave our hair without giving it the love it deserves.
What’s the team? It is self-love! To derive that, there are many procedures that must be carried out and followed.
The world is vast, very vast! And, on this vast universe of ours exists many races of humankind. From black to white, to those with yellow skin and others with brown, there’s even dark chocolate–that sounds yummy!😍. Whereas, there are many others that fall in between these skin colors.
Where you belong does not always matter!
Why is that?
We are all humans in the quest for peace, loves, acceptance, success, happiness etc. You name it…
We are not so different from each other when it comes to our purposes of living, our virtues, our beliefs, and finally, the end of existence–Death, that is completely inevitable by all.
Therefore, even though our hair types might be different, we all want the same thing. To give It loves, and to be BEAUTIFUL! Both inside and outside.
Caring For Your Hair; “The Basic Ways”
If you don’t know where to begin, I am going to walk you through some general and basic steps you could take towards your hair care.
The basic things that are most needed by the hair are cleansing, conditioning, and styling. They are like how the body needs basic cleansing and moisturizing.
Of course, there are more things and steps that are needed for it to be a more healthy and desirable one. It is the reason we often try to include treatments for specific concerns and needs, like the skincare for acne and sensitivity.
As time goes on, in different other articles I will be introducing you to many other important hair care regimens that are needed for a more lustrous, manageable, attractive, and healthy hair.
Some of which includes the right process of moisturization, hydration, exfoliation, deep cleansing, protein treatment, deep conditioning, and so on.
Primarily, It is only after adapting to taking care of your hair would you be determined to include other necessary steps that would be effective for your specific hair concerns and type.
#1 Most Basic Step – “Cleansing Using Any Available Shampoo”
At this point, remember this article is for those that are very new to their personal hair care. It would not be difficult nor would it challenging for you to follow.
This is your very first step to your hair care journey, and we are taking it from the most basic of the basic:
- A cleansed hair is achieved by first soaking your hair with water, this allows your scalp and hair to become soft and manageable.
- Pour some shampoo on your palm, bring your palms together so the two hands are covered with the cleanser.
- In a gentle motion, massage your scalp thoroughly to ensure the removal of dandruff causing dirt and debris, especially those from your styling products build-up.
- Thereafter, gently walk your hands through your hair.
- Rinse off with warm water, then cold to seal back your hair cuticles—this would be further explained in later articles.
- You could either at this point continue to the conditioning step, or if you feel the need for extra cleansing, you repeat the steps again.
#2 Most Basic Step – “Adding A Bit Of Moisture Or Hydration To The Hair Using A Conditioner.”
The conditioning step helps to add moisture back into your hair and prevents it from dryness. This allows your styling step to be easy as your hair would be a lot more manageable by then.
If your hair is straight, you would need much less conditioner to achieve that result. Whereas with curly and coily or kinky hair, there is a need for more conditioner to achieve the same manageability and softness.
- Put your hair in sections for thorough saturation of the conditioner. About four to six sections depending on your hair length and density.
- Pour a bit of the conditioner on the palm and apply to each section as needed. From root to tip, walking your fingers or a comb through it.
- Untangle those stubborn tangles that might have formed. As you come across a more tangled hair, take your time, and relax while trying to separate them from each other.
- It would be better to use your fingers at this point if you were using a comb or brush initially to prevent too much breakage.
- Finally, rinse it off with cool water.
A Quick Note: It is okay for your hair to feel slippery after rinsing. Do not over rinse thinking there is still some conditioner left.
Over rinsing would strip your hair of the moisture provided by the conditioner!
A good example of this feeling is how you feel when you use a moisturizing shower gel. Remember your skin feeling slippery does not mean there is still soap left on it. Rather, it is simply the effect of the moisturizer in your shower gel, which also applies to your hair conditioner.
#3 Most Basic Step – “Achieving The Desired Style”
Here are the most fun and interesting part, Styling! A styling product is necessary to achieve the desired result.
To keep it simple without wearing any style, a leave-in moisturizer like oil, or a conventional leave-in conditioner will do just fine.
- Apply your styling product to your hair when it is damp, not soaking wet nor extremely dry, for better results and easy absorption.
- Comb them through the hair for uniform distribution.
- And finally, allow your hair to hair dry with natural atmospheric air, a hand dryer, or hair bonnet. Availability and time are the determining factors.
As mentioned earlier, there is more to achieving healthy hair. A healthy hair growth journey involves a lot more procedures and treatments than what is included in this article.
This includes only the prerequisite of them all!
The passion, time, and inspiration to take yourself beyond the basics would only come after these prerequisites.
Once you are following and have adapted to the simple and basic ways of something, you would naturally and effortlessly be encouraged to have a more in-depth knowledge of that thing.
Are you already beyond this basic Steps in your hair care journey, or still finding doing them yourself—without having to visit a salon—to be quite challenging?
What stage are you in your hair care journey? What would you like to know more about? And what are your hair concerns and goals?
Write down your comments below so we all could share in your opinions and offer some tips as well.
“This is the beginning of this website hair series”
Stay tuned and look forward to a lot more fun, exciting, and learning experience!
Cheers to a glamorous hair aspiration! … Tohin