It’s no joke nor lie that DIY hair masks for hair growth work wonders for many people, and I am not an exception either!
These three things: time, love, and care are my slogan and the little secret behind my hair growth journey.
I can’t count the number of times people have asked me, “what’s the secret behind your healthy lustrous hair?”
And I, with full confidence tell them;
“when I sincerely want my hair to grow to a certain length, I give it my time, love and care by doing what needs to be done to achieve that goal. Nothing more, nothing less!”
I utilize my time by starting and consistently following a weekly hair care regimen that I do myself without having to visit a salon. This first step has helped tremendously in getting to know my hair better.
This brings me to say, “Every moment I spend with my hair is a time well spent!”
I was able to know its porosity. It used to be high porosity meaning it absorbs water and products easily and dries very fast. Now it is medium porosity.
I could see and know the problems my hair was experiencing be it dryness or shedding. And, by that, I know which hair product to go for that would best solve the problem.
When I got started, I found staying consistent to hair routines and regimen a bit overwhelming at first but trust me when I say I only needed to get started, and before I knew it, it becomes as easy as spreading peanut butter on bread. Fun intended! But, still, it became easy.
After knowing the needs of my hair, I give it my love by ordering and using hair care products to meet those needs.
And if I am running out of products or simply can’t find my way around placing an order yet, I opt for my one-stop easy homemade hair recipes. I must admit they have done wonders to my hair.
Curious about that uhn!
Not to worry, that is what I am going to share with you next.
My DIY Hair Masks for Faster Hair Growth That Works on All Hair Types
Most of these ingredients are things I can easily find in my kitchen or at my closest grocery stop, there are some of them I place an order for when ordering my other hair products. I think they should be easily accessible to you as well.
1. “Avocado & Honey” Hair Mask for Dry and Frizzy Hair
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (Other available cold-pressed or organic oil may replace this)
Steps – How I Make and Use the Avocado & Honey Hair Mask
1. Using a blender, blend the ingredients together until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
a. An alternative to a blender, you can either use a hand mixer or a whisk.
b. I even use a fork when all those are not available to me. I just slice the avocado into smaller pieces for easy mixing.
2. Pour the mixture in a bowl and add some few drops of tea tree and Ylang Ylang essential oils to it. The addition of essential oils is optional. When trying this, you may skip them.
3. I gently apply it unto my already cleansed hair strands working from the tip of my hair to the root.
a. To make the application easier, I section my hair into about 8 sections (Your sections may be more, or less, depending on your hair volume and length).
b. But on days I’m feeling a tad bit lazy, I just simply part my hair through the centre.
4. Finally, I cover with a plastic cap and leave in for 1 hour.
5. Thereafter, I rinse it off with cool water.
If your hair is very dry, use this hair mask twice a week. After the dryness decreases, you may reduce the frequency of use to once weekly.
Finally, after fighting dryness completely, you may only use it once a month to keep your hair moisture level balance.
Although it is true that this avocado hair mask helps in combating dryness, it is also true that it is highly effective in stimulating faster hair growth. I add a few drops of essential oil of my choice to spice up that effect.
I use the mask prior to doing other house chores then proceed with those chores after application so as not to feel bored.
Or, like I love to sometimes do, tune into my favourite channel to enjoy its shows while the mask does its thing.
If you have a hooded dryer, you may sit under it so that the nutrient in the ingredients would absorb faster into the hair cuticles. But the duration you leave in the mask would be lesser, about 30 to 45 minutes would be perfectly fine. And, 15 minutes if your hair is very short with less volume.
I put the left-over in the refrigerator for up to a week or two, and re-use it.
2. “Baking Soda & Yogurt” Hair Mask for Extremely Frizzy Hair and Hair Root (Cherry-Lola Inspired Mask)
When I started out my healthy hair journey, I always struggle with frizzy root. They become so unruly that my styles do not last for a day.
What do you think I did next? Of course, hit onto YouTube to research what works best for frizzy hair roots specifically.
Among the many recommendations I found and watched, the one that got my attention the most was recommended by one of my favourite YouTubers. It is the “Cherry-Lola baking soda hair mask”.
Watch the video below to see how she used this treatment.
How I Do the Cherry-Lola Baking Soda & Yogurt Hair Mask
- ½ Cup Plain full cream yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Aminos (Derived from Soy Protein)
My Application Process
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl
2. Apply to sectioned hair dry hair while focusing mainly on my root
3. Cover with a plastic cap
4. Leave in for 20 minutes. Not beyond that!
5. Rinse it off with cool water
6. Shampoo my hair thereafter
7. Finish up my hair care regimen with a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment. Highly recommended!
Since this is a protein-rich treatment, it is highly essential to finish up with a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment to balance out the protein and add a boost of moisture back to the hair.
That is exactly what I do and recommend!
I use this treatment at most once a month. After my hair and its root became a lot less frizzy, I limited my application to once in three months.
I must say this was tremendously helpful at eliminating those frizzes and my hairstyles last a lot longer now.
It allows me to rock my natural hairstyles for up to 10 days before my wash days.
Aside from helping to fight frizz, this treatment also helps to exfoliate the scalp and remove hair product buildups and dead skin cells.
3. “Amla and Neem” Ayurveda Hair Mask to Strengthen Hair & Reduce Hair Breakage
- 2 Tbsp Amla Powder
- 1 Tbsp Neem Powder
- Aloe Vera Juice
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- ½ Cup Regular Hair Conditioner
- Peppermint essential oil
How to Make Amla and Neem Hair Mask Together with My Step-By-Step Application Process
1. Mix the Amla and neem powder in a bowl
2. Add aloe vera juice to the powder to make a thin paste (a crepe pancake batter consistency).
a. I prefer to use aloe vera juice because it adds slip to the mask and makes it very smooth to apply. But you can replace that with water.
3. Add the avocado oil and 4 drops of peppermint essential oil to the paste and mix well
4. Thereafter, you add the conditioner to the paste and mix until well combined.
5. Apply the hair mask to a sectioned hair, focusing more on your hair tips and work to the root of the strands.
6. Ensure your hair has been shampooed and well cleansed before the application of this mask. And fully coat every strand of your hair with the mask.
7. Once I’m done with one section, I love to put it in a bun (or Bantu knot) to prevent it from tangling up or keep it out of my way.
a. But you can wait till you are completely done with the whole hair and put it in one bun instead of many knots.
8. I cover my hair with a plastic cap and leave it in for about 45 minutes if I’m going to use heat. And 1 hour without heat.
9. Rinse hair thoroughly without leaving even a little residual to prevent it from building up on your scalp
10. Proceed with your leave-in hair treatment and style hair as desired.
Important Things to Note
I use this mask every two weeks, and once my hair stopped breaking, I limited it to once a month.
When I was starting out, I add conditioner to the Amla and Neem Hair mask.
The most important reason for that was to balance the strengthening effect from the Ayurveda powders with the moisture provided by the conditioner.
That way, I’m killing two birds with a stone and would not have to condition my hair thereafter.
Alternatively, instead of adding conditioner to the mask, I make the paste a bit thicker and apply it directly to my hair strands.
And after rinsing it off, I follow it with conditioning my hair for an added moisture boost.
With that been said, if this is the first time you are ever trying out an Ayurveda DIY recipe, I highly recommend you follow the initial steps provided until your hair gets used to it. Then you can start skipping conditioner in the mixture.
4. “Onion and Garlic” Mask to Stimulate Hair Growth
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Cup of Water
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
How to Make Onion and Garlic Mask for Hair Growth and How I Use It
1. Peel the onion and garlic cloves
2. Chop them and place in a pot. Allow then to sit for about 5 minutes.
3. Add a cup of water to the chopped onion
4. Turn on your stove and cook the recipe until the water begins to boil
5. Drain the juice into a bowl and let it cool. Thereafter, you can pour it in a spray bottle for easy application. Save your onion to be used for cooking.
6. In a separate bowl, put the coconut oil and add tea tree essential oil. I sometimes replace this with other carrier oils and essential oils available to me.
7. I Part my hair into smaller sections, about 12.
8. Take each of the section and spray the onion juice on it. I also spray my scalp and massage it in.
9. Then I apply the oil mixture to the hair.
10. Once I’m done, I cover hair with a plastic shower cap and tie a towel on top. Let it sit for 45 minutes.
11. After 45 minutes has elapsed, I proceed with my normal hair care routine starting from shampooing and complete it with either a protein treatment or a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment.
Quick Notes on The Importance of Onion & Garlic
Onion and garlic are highly effective hair growth stimulant because they help to stimulate and circulate blood flow. Many thanks to the abundance of sulfur present in them.
This sulfur is also very essential for hair colour. Which means it would help to reduce premature greying of hair and darken the colour of the hair.
Another good thing is, they have antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that would help fight many scalp conditions like dandruff and psoriasis that inhibit hair growth.
To take this a step further, I boost that effect by adding a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the onion and garlic, then boil them together.
5. “Coconut Milk and Aloe Vera Gel” Hair Mask for Dull Lifeless Hair
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Milk
- 4 Tbsp Aloe Vera Gel
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tbsp Honey
How to Make and Use Coconut Milk & Aloe Vera Gel Hair Mask
1. Blend all the ingredients together and pour in a bowl
2. Wash hair with a deep cleansing shampoo to get rid of all dirt and product buildup
3. Allow hair to dry a bit
4. Section hair into workable smaller sections
5. Apply the mask on the cleansed hair starting from the back to the front
6. After hair is fully saturated with the mask, cover with a plastic cap for 1 hour
7. Rinse off with cool water to seal in the moisture and hair cuticles
8. Allow hair to dry and style hair as usual
I love to use fresh aloe vera gel extracted by me. But if you don’t have access to that, a store-bought one is perfectly fine.
Avocado may be replaced with avocado oil. I just like how thick the consistency is whenever I use fresh raw avocado instead of oil. That thickness is the reason I prefer avocado to oil in this hair mask!
This is a deep moisture treatment that can be done once a week. After doing this consistently, I have seen a lot of improvement in my hair texture and look.
It adds an immediate effect of shine to my hair and the hair becomes easily manageable without struggling to comb through it.
When styling my hair, I use aloe vera juice instead of water to spray my hair to minimize breakage and add an extra sheen.
To Wrap It Up;
All of these are my holy grail homemade fast hair growth recipes.
You can switch and tweak them as you like and be creative with them. Just ensure to check that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients.
Also, remember to always do a patch test on a small area of your skin like the inner arm, to see whether you will react to them or not, especially if essential oils are going to be used in the mask.
Here’s the end of another creative post!
I appreciate your reading this far which indicates you have learned one of two beneficial things from the post in the long run.
I would like you to comment down below the DIY recipes that appeal to you the most from the ones above, and which one you would love to try out.
Till another time;
Remain exquisitely gorgeous with lots and lots of fun-tastic blissful moments in your healthy hair journey!
Tohin…My Exquisite Body And Hair